Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday Market

Oh my!! Today was the famous Tuesday Market on Burma Road- Moses calls it the Indian market- not sure why:) It costs 2,000 Kwacha to enter(75 cents) and once you enter it is a madhouse. As you pull into the driveway there are maybe 5 guys, or should I say boys, pointing at your car and running along side you. I parked my car and was immediately swarmed by 15-20 Zambian boys all saying "Madam, carry your bag, madam". I politely said, "no thank you", "no thank you", "no thank you"- probably 132 times. My friends joined me who had been before and Alix actually "hired" a boy to carry her vegetable basket around as she shopped. The market was an open pavilion...people were selling the most incredible vegetables I have ever seen- women snapping peas, shucking corn, selling okra, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, eggplant, zucchini, onions, many herbs. I was overwhelmed by the selection and quantity of vegetables and by the boys that kept following me. Next week I will hire a boy right away so the others don't have to follow me around. (my friend Nubia is in the middle of all the commotion)
The boy that Alix hired "Cameron" was very helpful- he was 12 years old, his school started at 12 hours- he told Alix how to prepare the beans and vegetables when she had questions. He was a good kid! Next time, I know better.
And...today was the European Spelling Bee- Brad came in 2nd place in his class!! Good job but his European spelling days are over!

3 comments:

MeMe said...

Does that remind you of the market in Santa Monica?

It sounds like fun. Glad you got to go.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time. I know you will have many recipes to share with us when you return to the states. I wonder if their vegetable selection will change as the seasons change. Is there much fruit? Tell Bradley - way to go.
Love you!
Sissy

Unknown said...

Good job Bradley!